We probably all feel a little like Rapunzel these days, trapped in our homes, being told by Mother Gothel that the plague will get us if we leave, and going through all of our tasks and activities by 7:15… But we’ve taken Rapunzel’s spirit and come up with whole hosts of ways to stay active and entertained while on quarantine. One of the big ways we’re staying entertained is with our Quarantine with Princesses series where we watch a different movie each day, DisneyBound as a character from the show, coordinate an activity, and usually a food or cocktail to go along with it! I’ve also gathered plenty of more “quarantivity” ideas below!
Making a calendar and having a routine has helped us a lot during this quarantine. By Day 20 of this princess series, we had been in shelter-in-place mode (without the official order) for 27 days. So by then, we had it down pat. Once a week I draw up this little calendar (I just photo copy the outside of the one I made week 1) and get to drawing a coloring in what we’ve got planned. I mark what movie we’re watching, what my DisneyBound will be, what our workouts will be, and any other quarantivities we have planned, whether it’s dying Easter eggs, a big Zoom happy hour, a quaranTIKI, the release of Onward on DisneyPlus, whatever! The schedule making gives me something to do, and posting it up on the fridge helps us actually feel like the days are changing!
Rapunzel’s Quarantivity Tower
Honestly, I have’t really felt bored this entire quarantine–certainly no more than I would on an average Tuesday at noon when I work from home. Whenever I start to feel a little bored, I go to Rapunzel’s Quarantivity Tower!
So we created this sort of rule that if you’re bored you just have to get up and grab something from Rapunzel’s Quarantivity Tower– if you say you’re bored, you have to draw a card from the little jar on top and clean or organize whatever area of the house it tells you to (they’re small areas, like a specific cabinet or drawer). It’s definitely kept us from admitting boredom, and because we have to get up to get something, it’s actually making us do them!
ACTIVITY BOOKS & JOURNALS~
• Hand Lettered Design Starter Kit (check it out for 5% off!)
• Learn to Draw books (Mickey & Friends | Disney Princesses | Classic Characters | Villains)
• “Variety” Word puzzles books + word searches, crossword puzzles, etc. ( Variety Puzzles | Harry Potter Word Search | Disney Crossword Puzzles | Friends Word Search)
• Journal Prompt Books (creative writing, gratitude and mindfulness prompts, and if you need help remember how Not to Give a F*ck or to Let that Sh*t Go, all of these links here will take you to prompt journals to help you start writing it out!)
• Coloring books designed for meditation, for enjoyment, and for stress relief (mandala coloring book |Harry Potter Magical Artifacts Coloring Book | Thomas Kinkade Disney coloring book | Calm the F*ck Down: An Irreverent Adult Coloring Book | & my personal favorite: Fucking Adorable Animals)
PUZZLES & READING~
• Pictured are just three of our 20+ puzzles, I rotate them out after we’ve finished and usually mail the old puzzles off to friends! (Snow White Puzzle | Vintage Hawaii Puzzle | Marauder’s Map Puzzle | Harry Potter 3D Puzzle | Friends Puzzle)
• Silly Books (DisneyBound Book | Harry Potter Companion Books)
• Wedding planning books– because we still have to plan for the future even if it’s post-poned (The Knot Book of Wedding Lists)
• Books (I have a lot from Book of the Month that I’m trying to get through still!)
TWO-PERSON GAMES, VIDEO GAMES, MORE PUZZLES & CRAFTS~
• Games that we can play just the two of us (Scrabble | Sushi Go | Disney Villainous | Harry Potter Labyrinth Game)
• Crafts (Disney Princess Crochet Kit | Mickey Mouse Crochet Kit | Cactus Crochet Kit | Harry Potter Oragami)
• Video Games (Portable SEGA Genesis | Nintendo Switch)
COLORING & STATIONARY~
it’s so easy to get lost in technology right now, I’ve been loving keeping up with my friends like old school pen pals & putting actual colored pencil to paper! Plus, how could I do a word search without crayons??
So that’s it! That’s Rapunzel’s Quarantivity Tower! Let us know if we missed any activities in the comments below!